INSIDE THE SECTOR DESKS
Sector Desks were introduced as a new approach to deliver AAA services to its members in different sectors. They aim at adding value to AAA services and activities by delivering tailor made and sector specific event and training that will tackle different challenges that members are facing in the sector. This will also develop and allow members to share knowledge and opportunities available in the sector.
Knowing the Sector Desks and their leaders
The Academy has five active sectors each with members from all six Chapters. SDs are being led by AAA members who have high experience and knowledge in that sector. Leaders are from the BC that have more members within the sector.
- Poultry and Animal Feed being led by Mr. Abel Mekonnen from Friendship company
- Agri-Input led by Mr. Ngila Kimotho of Dry Seed
- Dairy under the leadership of Mr. Emmanuel Tayebwa
- Honey under Robert Okodia
- Fruits and Veggies which is still new and yet to choose a leader.
All sector activities are cross cutting, as sector members from all the Chapters are allowed and invited to participate and be part of the events and trainings.
What has the Sector Desks done in Q1, Q2 & Q3?
The SDs have held different events and trainings in the BC hubs in different Chapters. Events include; trade fairs, forums and shows while training includes technical training and AAA standard trainings.
- Poultry Trade Mission held in May at Nairobi Kenya.
The Mission was organized by the Netherlands –African Business Council in partnership with AAA and Dutch Poultry Center. The objective was to introduce and familiarize the Dutch Companies to the East African poultry companies.
- Honey Week in Uganda
Honey Week was held in August in collaboration with TUNADO. The fair not only promoted the use of beehive products but also members business’ by allowing them to show case their products and learn from other stakeholders.
- Api Expo Trade in Rwanda
Organized under the theme “Driving socio-economic transformation in Africa: the role of commercial beekeeping”. Members met different national, regional, continental and global level researchers, policy makers, honey trade support networks, development partners, media, and other stakeholders to converge in Kigali and were able to discuss and share knowledge on trade and business related approaches, promote apiculture and how it relates to economic empowerment of the African people.
- Nairobi International Trade Fair
Together with Global Communities, AAA organized B2B for more than 15 members in the Food and Vegetable sector. The aim was for members to be linked with buyers and seller and also to learn from other stakeholder in the sector.
- World Eggs Day
This was a two days event organized by AAA with the Prana and the Ethiopia Ministry of Livestock and Fishery. The aim is to promote the use of poultry products specifically eggs and other eggs products. The event allows members to show case their products and network with other players in the poultry business.
- Dairy Open Day in Ethiopia
- Dire Dawa Open day
- Business planning training held in Dodoma Tanzania for members in the Honey Sector Desk
- Good Agricultural Practices and Marketing Opportunities for horticultural products, held in Dar-es-salaam in Tanzania
- Marketing Strategies for Agri-input and Horticulture products in Mbeya Tanzania and Nairobi Kenya respectively
- Standard and Certification for FnV in Nairobi Kenya
- Layers management in Addis Ethiopia
The Sector Desks still have a lot to offer before end of 2016,
- Dairy Show – 29 October in Uganda
- Annual Leadership Summit for Agri-Input 6 – 10 November in Tanzania
- Agri – Input Show – 22-24 November in Rwanda
- Broiler Management in Uganda
Why must you participate and be part of the SD activities?
- Get to meet and network with members in the same sector but from different Chapter countries
- Learn and share knowledge, challenges and opportunities (Your challenges can be solved by SD members and become your opportunities)
- Know the funding opportunities available for your sector
- Technical training are available to improve your productivity and production.